Tuesday, May 17, 2011

One Year Ago...

I was holding this sweet baby girl in my arms as she feel asleep.

A few minutes later, I was holding her hand in the emergency room, praying for her life. We weren't sure what was happening or why. She was seizing, they couldn't get it stopped and we didn't know if she would be the same again. An hour later, she wasn't actively seizing but she was unresponsive and on a breathing machine from all the medications. We were transported to Children's Hospital and we continued to pray for her recovery.


God answered our prayers and she is very happy and healthy today. It took a week to get back to normal, but we have not had any problems since that awful day.


It is amazing how your perspective changes when you go through difficult trials. Just the day before this incident, I was complaining about how hard it was to be a Mom of three small kiddos. The next day, I was shown the alternative and I was praying that God would allow me to continue to be her mother and not take her to be with Him. I have always been thankful, but this incident completely changed my life. I now realize what is most important. The house can be dirty and laundry can pile up, because it will all still be there in 20 years. My kids are just temporary, just on loan to me and in 20 years, this season of life will be gone. This trial taught me that tomorrow is uncertain, there are no guarantees and I want to show my children everyday how thankful I am to have them. I am not sure why God has blessed me with a wonderful family, and I definitely do not feel worthy, but I am so thankful to have this opportunity. I pray that I can continue to be their Mom for as long as He allows, and that I can do this in a way that is pleasing to Him.  I am no longer a nurse, just a Mommy and wife. It is the most important and humbling job out there. The benefits are overwhelming and the rewards are out of this world. When I have a hard day, I just remember how fragile life is, and look at all the blessings in my life.
Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward. Psalm 127:3

1 comment:

  1. I will never forget that dreadful phone call. I am so very thankful that sweet little Ava is so healthy and had no lasting effects from that night. You have such a beautiful little (okay, maybe big) family! (P.S. Where do I sign up for being a stay-at-home mom? Is that a contract I can sign? I will accept all of the stipulations it comes with!!)

    ReplyDelete